The following list is of my research publications, which I update (last update: 27 July 2017). Wherever possible, I have included copies in PDF format. Some, however, are either book chapters or works-in-progress where digital copies are not available or not permissible for download online. If you’d like a copy, please contact me via email with details of where you’re working from (Designation/Faculty/Institution) and I’ll send you a copy.
- Leong, Susan (2014) New media and the Nation in Malaysia. London: Routledge.
- Leong, Susan (2016). Provisional Business Migrants to Western Australia, Social Media and Conditional Belonging in Sun, Wanning and Sinclair, John (Eds.) Media and Communication in the Chinese Diaspora: Rethinking Transnationalism, pp. 184-202. London: Routledge.
- Leong, Susan (2016). A Right and not a Privilege: Freedom of Expression and New Media in Malaysia in Hjorth, Larissa and Khoo, Olivia (Eds.) The Routledge Handbook of New Media in Asia, pp. 155-164. Routledge.
- Leong, Susan (2016). Is “Allah Just for Muslims”?: Religion, Indigenisation and Boundaries in Malaysia in Gomes, Catherine (ed.) The Asia Pacific in the Age of Transnational Mobility: The Search for Community and Identity on and through Social Media, pp. 119-141. New York: Anthem Press.
- Leong, Susan & Gong, Qian (2012) Provincialising Perth? : Satellite television and the Chinese in Perth in Ghosh, Devleena, Mason, Robert and Hayes, Anna (Eds.) Cultures in Refuge : Seeking Sanctuary in Modern Australia. Ashgate, Farnham; Burlington, VT, pp. 133-149.
- Leong, Susan (2009) Virtual diasporas & the dilemma of multiple belongings in cyberspace in Baker, Janice, Fordham, Helem, Greiller, Jane, Houen, Christina, Kerr, Todd, and Reid, Anja (Eds.) Provoking Texts: New Postgraduate Research from the Edge. Curtin University of Technology, Online. PDF available here.
- Leong, Susan (2008) Looking through the corridor : Malaysia and the MSC in Lim, David C. L. (Ed.) Overcoming Passion for Race in Malaysia Cultural Studies. Brill, Leiden, The Netherlands, pp. 83-108.
- Leong, Susan and Woods, Denise (2017). ‘I don’t care about Asia’: Teaching Asia to Australia’. Journal of Australian Studies, pp. 1-13, available online at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14443058.2017.1343251
- Leong, Susan. (2016). Sinophone, Chinese and, PRC Internet: Chinese Overseas in Australia and the PRC Internet. Asiascape: Digital Asia, 3(3), pp. 117-137. DOI: 10/1163/22142312-12340055
- Leong, Susan, Kerr, Thor & Cox, Shaphan (2016). Façades of Diversity. Thesis Eleven, 135(1), pp. 115-133. DOI: 10/1177/0725513616657888
- Leong, Susan (2015). The Business of Belonging: Temporary Migration, Chinese New Media and Diasporic Connectivity. Crossings: Journal of Migration and Culture, 6(1), pp. 103-119.
- Leong, Susan (2012) Sacred cows and crashing boars : ethno-religious minorities and the politics of online representation in Malaysia. Critical Asian Studies, 44(1), pp. 31-56.
- Leong, Susan (2011) No longer Singaporean. Continuum : Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, 25(4), pp. 559-572.
- Leong, Susan (2009) Franchise nations : the future of nations? Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies, 23(6), pp. 855-870.
- Leong, Susan, Mitew, Teodor, Celletti, Marta, & Pearson, Erika (2009) The question concerning (internet) time. New Media and Society, 11(8), pp. 1-19.
- Leong, Susan, Mitew, T., Celletti, M., & Pearson, E. (December 2012). The Question Concerning (Internet) Time. In J. Hughes (Ed.), SAGE Internet Research Methods. (Vol. 11, pp. 363-381). London: SAGE Publications Ltd. Retrieved from http://srmo.sagepub.com.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/view/sage-internet-research-methods/SAGE.xml
Other Essays/Conference Proceedings
- Leong, Susan (22 June 2017). ‘Reimagining Work is a Project for the Unemployed, too’. Eureka Street. Available online at: http://eurekastreet.com.au/article.aspx?aeid=52590
- Leong, Susan (18 May 2017). ‘The Work of Disobedience’. Eureka Street. Available online at: https://www.eurekastreet.com.au/article.aspx?aeid=52352
- Leong, Susan and Thor Kerr (2017). Western Australia’s welcome engagement in Asia has been a long time coming. The Conversation. 22 March 2017
- Leong, Susan. (2016). Latter-Day Danger Asians. Peril Magazine: Asian-Australian Arts & Culture, Special issue: Danger Asians.
- Leong, Susan. (2016). What they DON’T tell you before you embark on a PhD. Australia Asia Pacific Institute Research Review, January-March, 2016, p. 9.
- Leong, Susan and Lee, Terence, Malaysia disconnecting from online freedoms, East Asian Forum, 18 March 2016.
- Leong, Susan. ‘Laughter: the Best Form of Protest‘, Zunar Australia Tour, Perth, Western Australia, 17 June 2017.
- Leong, Susan, Book review of Insider Research on Migration and Mobility: international perspectives on research positioning, ed. Lejla Voloder and Liudmila Kirpitchenko, Crossings: A Journal of Migration and Culture, 6(1), pp. 123-125, 2015.
- Catherine Gomes, Olivia Guntarik and Susan Leong, “Editorial,” Transient Migrants: Identities, Social Networks and Social Media, Special Issue, Catherine Gomes, Olivia Guntarik and Susan Leong (eds.), Crossings: A Journal of Migration and Culture, 6(1), pp. 3-5, 2015.
- Leong, Susan and Catherine Gomes (2012). Teaching Asia to Australia. The Conversation, 27 September 2012.
- Leong, Susan (2009) The Hindraf saga: media and citizenship in Malaysia. In Flew, Terry (Ed.) Communication, Creativity and Global Citizenship : Refereed Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand Communications Association Annual Conference, QUT, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove.
- Leong, Susan, ‘Productive Frictions: the Malaysian, Singaporean and PRC Chinese Diasporas in Australia’, Cultural Studies Association of Australasia (CSAA) Conferenece, Wellington, 6-8 December 2017.
- Leong, Susan and Sinnan, Jolynna, ‘Crossing Cultures and Social Imaginaries’, The Australian Sociology Association (TASA) conference, Perth, 27-30 November 2017.
- Leong, Susan (2016). “Feels like Home: Australia’s Imagined Migrant as Ordinary”. The International Australia Studies Association Conference, Fremantle, Western Australia, 7-9 Decemb
- Leong, Susan (2016). Perth Calling: Imagin Symposium: Transnational Mobility in the Asia-Pacific: Family, Friends, Facebook, Melbourne, RMIT, 3 November.
- Leong, Susan (2016). “Banal Precariousness”. Precarious Times: a 1-day Interdisciplinary Symposium, Perth, Curtin University, 6 December 2016.
- Leong, Susan (2016). “Global Bersih: “Because I Belong in Malaysia””. IAMCR 2016 Conference, Memory, Commemoration and Communication: Looking Back, Looking Forward, Leicester, UK, 27-31 Jul
- Leong, Susan and Lee, Terence, ‘The Long Shadows of Internet Giants: Chinese Cybersovereignty and Internet Governance in Singapore and Malaysia’, Pre-Conference ‘The Politics and Economics of New Media Industry’ for the International Communication Association (ICA) 2016 Annual Conference in Fukuoka, Japan, 9 June 2016.
- Leong, Susan and Wang, Wilfred, ‘Ways of Doing, Ways of Being: Mediating the Everyday Life of PRC Migrants in Australia’, 2016 ICA Post-Conference and 14th Chinese Internet Research Conference (CIRC) “Mediatization: Digital Revolution and the Chinese Setting, Fudan University, Shanghai, 14-15 June.
- Leong, Susan, ‘Asian Disruptions of Digital Technologies’, Digital Disruption in Asia: Methods and Issues, Leiden, 24-25 May 2016.
- Leong, Susan and Woods, Denise, ‘I don’t’ care about Asia’: teaching Asia in Australia’, Mobilities 5th Asian Australian Studies Research Network conference, LaTrobe University, Immigration Museum, 26-27 November 2015
- Leong, Susan, ‘The Transient Migrant and the Liminal Researcher: Insider-Outsider Migration and Media Research’, Transient Migration Symposium, RMIT, Melbourne, 12 November 2015
- Leong, Susan, ‘ ‘Researching cross-cultural digital cultures’, Researching Digital Cultures: Methods & Ethics Symposium, UNSW, Sydney, 4 November 2015.
- Leong, Susan (2015) Overseas Chinese and the Problematics of a Chinese Internet (IAMCR)International Association for Media and Communication Research 2015 conference, 12-16 July 2015, Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada
- Leong, Susan (2014) Not one but many:* Multiple Modernities and Social Imaginaries, Asian Cultural and Media Studies Now, 6-7 November, Monash University, Melbourne.
- Leong, Susan (2014) More than the Asian version, Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA) Conference, 8-10 July, University of Western Australia, Perth.
- Leong, Susan & Michele Willson (2014) Soft Power, Reciprocity and Guanxi: Temporary Business Migration, New Media and Belonging, 13-19 July, XVIII ISA (International Sociological Association) World Congress, Yokohama, Japan.
- Leong, Susan (2013) The Business of Belonging:Temporary Migration and Transnational Connectivity via New Media, International Society for the Study of Chinese Overseas (ISSCO) 2013 Conference. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Leong, Susan (2012) Franchise Nations: a New Media study of Chinese and Indian Provisional Business Migrants’ Experience, 28-30 June, Digital Crossroads: Media, Migration and Diaspora in a Transnational Perspective, Utrecht University, The Netherlands.
- Leong, Susan & Qian, Gong (2012) Reviving the Revolution. Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA) 2012 Conference. University of Western Sydney, Parramatta.
- Leong, Susan (2011) Reorienting diaspora : China and India as franchise nations. In Caluya, Gilbert (Ed.) Cultural Studies Association of Australasia Conference 2011, 22-24 November 2011, University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA. (Unpublished)
- Leong, Susan (2011) Middle India as revealed by Chetan Bhagat. In Yue, Audrey, Chan, Dean, Khoo, Tseen, & Lo, Jacqueline (Eds.) Asian-Australian Identities Conference 2011, 10-11 November 2011, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, VIC. (Unpublished)
- Leong, Susan (2011) Franchise nations : theorising diaspora from outside In(dia). In Pal, Adesh (Ed.) Celebrating 50 Years of Swarnim Gujarat : the Role of Gujarati Diaspora, January 2-4, 2011, Ahmedabad, India. (Unpublished)
- Leong, Susan (2010) No longer Singaporean : visibilising the everyday contestations of identities. In Asian Australian Identities 3 Conference : Regionalising Asian Australian Identities, 13-14 November 2009 , Curtin University, Perth, WA.
- Leong, Susan & Gong, Qian (2010) Provincialising Perth? Satellite television and the Chinese communities in Western Australia in Migrant Security Conference : Citizenship and Social Inclusion in a Transnational Era, 15-16 July 2010, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba.
- Leong, Susan (2007) Nation and Internet : Malaysia and the multimedia super corridor in ARC Cultural Research Network Asian Media, Culture and Society Masterclass, 24-25 September 2007, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia.
- Leong, Susan & Tay, Elaine (2006) Refiguring the net generation : beyond users. In Association of Internet Researchers 2006 : Internet Convergences, 27-30 September, 2006, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane. (Unpublished)
- Leong, Susan (2007) Framing research on Asian media : beyond Western theories, roundtable discussion paper. In ARC Cultural Research Network Asian Media, Culture and Society Masterclass, 24-25 September 2007, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia. (Unpublished)
- Leong, Susan (2006) An investigation into how the imagining of the nation is affected by understandings of the Internet. In Association of Internet Researchers AOIR 7.0 : Doctoral Colloquim, 27-30 September, 2006, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland. (Unpublished)
- Leong, Susan (2006) Living the nation. In European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST) 2006 Conference, Reviewing Humanness : Bodies, Tecnologies and Spaces, 23 to 26 August 2006, University of Lausanne, Switzerland. (Unpublished)